Spring is Here– And So Are the Pests!
Ahhh.. spring. The snow has melted, the sun is shining, the flowers blooming…and rats, mice and racoons have come out to play. Not all critters are welcome guests, especially when you are trying to keep a clean and sanitary kitchen. Pests can really put a damper on your reputation as well as your budget. If they get into your kitchen, they can ruin your food, leave droppings and other messes and can scare customers away faster than you can say “rat poison”. Here are some tips for keeping your establishment pest free. And, of course, your SoapMobile representative is always available for tips and advice on ways to keep your kitchen spotless!
- Pests are not invited to this party: Be sure to make that clear by cleaning up food scraps and other sources of food, repairing water leaks, and increasing ventilation.
- Not getting past this velvet rope: Make areas less accessible to pests by repairing holes and installing barriers.
- Trap those buggers: If despite your best efforts, those pests still find their way into your business, use traps to catch and release them for a more humane way to treat the problem.
- Exterminate when necessary: Especially in old buildings like many in NYC, pest problems may have been going on for years and the problem is bigger than a few traps and precautions can handle. As a last resort, bringing in the heavy artillery (exterminators) may be your best solution. It is certainly better than trying to run a food business with a pest infestation!
- In this case, trash is trash: Although we are typically an Earth friendly company, any products contaminated with pesticides should be sent directly to the landfill and not for recycling or reusing.
Keeping pests at bay is an ongoing and seasonal issue that affects almost every commercial kitchen. Make it part of your business to ensure you follow the tips above and keep your space sparkling clean with products from The Soapmobile!
At The SoapMobile we often focus on kitchen cleanliness, but unkempt bathrooms can send customers running faster than just about any other reason.
Considering all the media exposure to dirty establishments on TV reality shows, and the many choices of places to eat on every city block, patrons are now extra cautious about cleanliness. First impression is everything. Your customer may never see how clean (or dirty) your kitchen is, but they will likely see your bathrooms. If a bathroom is dirty or soap dispensers are empty, then they will likely assume the same is true (or worse!) in the kitchen.
Ed Zimmerman of http://www.thefoodconnector.com/ suggests having a checklist that your staff uses daily to ensure every aspect of your restrooms and entire establishment, are properly and regularly maintained. His point is clear in stating, “Clean bathrooms might be the most important marketing job in your restaurant”. According to a recent survey by Harris Interactive, nearly 3 in 10 consumers surveyed said there are no second chances with dirty restrooms — and they would never return to the restaurant again. If the public-facing restrooms are unkempt, of course patrons will have doubts about the standards in the kitchen.
And probably worst of all, you can be sure that restaurant patrons who have a negative experience with a bathroom, from dirty toilets to grimy soap dispenses to bad odors, will tell friends and family about this experience, guaranteeing they too will think twice before coming to your restaurant. Sparkling bathrooms, kitchens, tableware and more is the first line in ensuring your restaurant’s success.
The SoapMobile can help keep you on the path to clean bathrooms and happy customers! From our professionally maintained dispensers to all the best cleaning products on the market, just let us know how we can help make your restaurant sparkle.
Your restaurant has all the makings for success: a great space, a top notch chef, a wonderful staff. You’re reputation is spreading like wildfire and business is booming! When suddenly one of your guests is struck by food poisoning. Bacteria left behind from raw meats and seafood are among the leading causes of food poisoning in restaurants. And no news spreads faster than negative press — this one incident can significantly damage all of your hard earned accolades in one fell swoop.
Preventing this type of scenario is possible. Keeping food at correct temperatures, hands washed, and surfaces spotless are essential. Having a soap dispenser and sink within reach of a food prep area makes hand washing a breeze, even at the busiest of times. Here are some more details about preventing food poisoning from our friends at wiseGEEK and be sure to ask your SoapMobile Clean Freak to show you the best cleaning products to ensure your success!